Okay can I just tell you how in love I am with this city! I cannot even put it into words! We spent last p-day on Wednesday just getting lost in Venice. It was so relaxing. I bought a few paintings for my "grown up house" and we breathed it all in. Each bridge is like a page in a story book. I literally cannot get enough. The best part is....we have investigators who live there, so I get to go in during our proselyting time! How lucky am I! I do have to remember while talking to people not to just let my mouth hang open in awe looking at everything.
Last week we got an email from President Dibb to all of the STLS and ZLS asking us to make this week super consecrated. He asked us to focus, be efficient and when we weren't with members, we were to be knocking doors and talking to people on the streets. Sister Stephens and I had our work cut out for us, since this area has not been progressing for a long time. But, we put ourselvs to the test! I started with the area book and then the miracles began to spill over...
After lots of prayer and pleading to Heavenly Father for help, we found our miracle we've been waiting for. We were looking in our area book for people who weren't ready in the past, but maybe were ready now. I fell upon this Filipino family who seemed pretty promising. I called her and she told us that they were in the process of moving right then, but maybe later. I was a little saddened, but I was sure to follow up with her. We called later, and she gave us an appointment! That was the first miracle.
The second miracle was the fact that we made it there! Venice is VERY confusing and we didn't understand the waterboat system at all. Marlene, the wife, met us at the boat stop and was able to guide us to her home. We got there and the house was full of people! We were a little shocked, but they all sat down and were ready to listen. After asking a few get to know you questions we discovered that they were three sisters, two of which were already members! It was hysterical. If someone were filming our faces and reaction, it could have won America's Funniest Home Videos! I was laughing, and I couldn't hold in my shock! Ear to ear grins took over our faces and we literally had no words to say. They have been inactive for a few years now. The people who aren't members are a man named Arnold, his wife Marlene, and their daughter Charlie. As we were talking, the 17 year old Charlie was holding the Book of Mormon in her lap. I asked how they felt about the Book of Mormon, and they said they loved it. They said they believed it to be true and the word of God. Charlie said that she loves to imagine the stories. They even started talking about Joseph Smith! We usually have to remind people of his name, but they just came right out with it! We began to bare testimony of the Book of Mormon and shared our favorite scriptures. Then as we were sharing how Heavenly Father never abandons us, one of the sisters, a mother of three children and married, Marieta, began to cry. I asked her how she felt and she then explained that she has had a hard life- that maybe her faith wasn't strong enough, and she fell away. It seems she is in need of healing and of Heavenly Father's love.
We then asked if they wanted to have the spirit with them always and learn more about how they could have peace in their lives. They all said yes. Every single one. There were about 7 people in that room. That gave us three new investigators, elect ones! We then find out that Marieta lives in Mestre, close to us! We walked back to the boat (yes we had to take a boat to get to her house) and we road home together. Sister Stephens asked if she'd be there when we returned, and she said no. We were sad, and Sister Stephens asked if we could maybe visit her and her family. That whole time I was just sitting there, praying for Heavenly Father to touch her heart - for her to recognize the spirit that was with us and have a desire to have it again. After 3-5 freakishly long minutes she whispers, Saturday. Saturday you could come over. I wanted to just scream for joy. Then she said she hoped her daughters would be there. One of them is not a member. It was such a beautiful evening, filled with the spirit and miracles! We went home and were speechless- knelt in prayer, thanking Heavenly Father for the tender mercy he'd showed us. MIRACLES MIRACLES MIRACLES! This was such a blessing. It gave me a bit of my missionary fire back, which I have been sadly lacking these past few weeks. It is cold, wet, and this city is filled with old people who don't seem too interested in our message. Combine the weather and the rejection, we've had the kind of days where you want to stay inside with sweats and a book! Haha, but no, there are still prepared people! I am still amazed. At the end of last week we had 5 new investigators, and as of now we are at six lessons and it is only Wednesday! Heavenly Father is truly helping us!!!
I love you all! Thank you for your prayers! THEY ARE WORKING!!! :) I couldn't do this without you....you all are equally in my every prayer as well. I pray for your protection, happiness, and testimonies. I love you -
Love,
Sorella Montagnoli

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.