Sunday, June 22, 2014

"Finally, I Understand!"

letter written June 4th

Well, well, well, Lucia is graduated! It's amazing how time just grew wings and flew at lightening speed! I am so proud of my little lu lu! I'm so happy that everyone I loved was there to support her too! I hope you feel the love coming to you from Italy!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Your crazy sister loves you so much little one! 
Lucia, baby Oaklee, Sarah & Michelle

Dad, I will say you are possibly the BEST father ever! I'm so happy you helped arrange for Michelle and Oaklee to be there for graduation.  That is probably the best surprise you could have come up with! I think I would have cried too. :) I love the love in our family!

I am just sitting at this lovely little computer that I don't have to pay for!  This has never once happened to me before on my mission, but I get to use the computer here at church, and I am glowing. So happy. Filled to the brim with peace, love and gratitude to my Father in Heaven. I seriously don't know what I did in the past to deserve all the people who are in my life. Even though I'm far away, I don't feel home sick; of course I miss you all, but I just feel peace. I was promised in the MTC that Heavenly Father would take care of my people; all of them. So I could focus and be successful. I promised to do my best and put my heart and will here. I love how He comes through. He always keeps His promises. :) 

This week has been long, rough, exhausting and successful.  I gave a training in district meeting which was fun. We had three investigators in church, lots of MIRACLE MEMBER WORK, and taught 10 menoattivi/nuovi convertiti (less active/new convert) lessons! Those were some pretty fantastic parts of this week. Also, ex-Anziano Ackerman (Rex's roommate) came to church this week, and it was so strange.  He was our AP (Assistant to the President), has finished his mission and returned to visit with his mom.  All of a sudden he didn't have a full suit on, nor a tag…quite confusing. The funniest was his mom, who came and she was darling as ever. All fresh, cute clothes, manicured nails and pedicured feet and looking beautiful. I was like, "woah is that what Americans look like!" haha I just laughed and thought to myself how rude of an awakening coming home will be. I'll have to do my hair again! Oh well :) I'm happy just letting it do what it wants for the next two months. 

Fun little miracle I'd like to share...yesterday we were teaching one of our new converts. She is Peruvian and so sweet. I love her, but she has difficulty understanding the Book of Mormon and its importance as a book of scripture. She has had many lessons on the Book of Mormon, but this time I felt prompted to introduce her to Preach my Gospel, as we taught her about Christlike attributes. It was perfect! She immediately took the book and became immersed in it. She turned throughout the chapters and saw Chapter 5 - The Book of Mormon. She then asks, "Sorella, why is this so important? Why do you always put such an emphasis on the Book of Mormon and not the Bible?" I go on to explain how important the Bible is, but we also need the Book of Mormon, which is something the rest of the world doesn't have, yet. I then asked if SHE was interested in learning/studying this chapter together. She agreed. MIRACLE ONE, SHE ASKED TO STUDY THE BOOK OF MORMON! 

Yesterday we had our lesson with her. We were reading through the chapter, and I began teaching how the Book of Mormon is the keystone of our religion. I asked her what that meant to her. She responded, and I added that it is also the connecting link to the truth.  I explained that it is evidence of Joseph Smith's prophetic calling to restore the true church of Jesus Christ again to the earth. (This concept she understood.)  I went on to explain how the Book of Mormon contains the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ. She then asked, "But I don't understand. Everyone says the Book of Mormon completes the Bible. I don't understand how!" It was so wonderful to understand her real question.

The spirit was so strong at this point, as I testified of how the Book of Mormon contains the pieces of the Bible that were missing or lost in translation…those precious, plain and simple truths of the plan of salvation that are essential parts. Sorella Jones went on to explain we cannot have the Book of Mormon without the Bible, and vise versa. I could see the wheels spinning in her head, and then I saw the spark in her eyes as it all "clicked". She then says, "Finalmente, ho capito!" ("Finally, I understand!")  She was all smiles and couldn't help but laugh. She said how for a whole year she didn't understand, but now she gets it. She gets how precious and necessary the Book of Mormon is, and she now has a deeper desire to discover all that is inside! She said she was going to go home and read and study more of the chapter in Preach my Gospel, because she really wanted to know and build her testimony. 

It is moments like that when I just am filled with happiness. I love that feeling of knowing that you helped someone understand, feel and learn of the goodness of the gospel. That is my favorite part of teaching -  seeing that "click"; it is so visible and so powerful! I love being a missionary for that reason. It is beautiful, and I love it so much…teaching children of God about who they are, who they can become, and what blessings they can partake of now. The truth is the truth; it cannot be changed or altered by man, without God knowing and having a plan to fix it. He loves us. He wants us to succeed. I know that to be true. I love being His instrument. I plan on being his instrument in this life and for eternity. I love it. 

I love you all, and I thank you for the prayers and support. I am the luckiest missionary in the world. 

Love,
Sorella Montagnoli
We're on the 9th floor and this is my view for nightly planning - the spider.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.