Monday, July 14, 2014

Just Thankful!

My dear lovely family -

To answer some of your questions…The weather here actually hasn't been too hot.  It's been pretty humid, but it rains every other day, so we get a little relief!  That is such a tender mercy, as neither of us are too fond of the extreme heat!  Yes, our portiera (door guard) is so sweet :) We love her! She gave me the package you hand delivered dad, and I loved it! Sorella Jones and I are just in heaven, as we've been rationing the beef jerky and dried mangos! :) 

As of now Sergio and Vilma still have their baptism date. We actually had another beautiful lesson with them. We finally got them to take an appoinment and KEEP it! That is miracle number one! They have a lot of trials right now. They don't have a home or a job, like a lot of people here, and they barely get by from day to day. It has somewhat consumed their thoughts, understandably. We got to their house, which is the house of one of our less actives, as Sergio was leaving. He said, "Arrivo, arrivo!" 30 minutes later, he got there. We had a lesson with them about the Book of Mormon and promised them blessings; lots and lots of blessings, if they would read it at as a family. They committed to do it, and we left. 

We went on Sunday to the house for a baby shower of their niece, who is less active; I adore her. We walked in, sat down, and Sergio ran to us saying he needed our help. Vilma was crying in the bedroom and refused to come to the party. We went in, and they began lamenting about all the problems, which honestly I would too. Then they started complaining about one another, and I just started praying. Sorella Jones then says, "Lets say a prayer together." I'm thinking, well why didn't I think of that! Haha! So we did and then asked if they had read anything from the Book of Mormon that week. They said no. I told them to go get their books, and Sorella Jones said that we were going to just start to read. They both were silent, went and literally dug out their books from under a bunch of stuff, and we began to read Nephi's story. 

As we read, a tranquility flooded the room. A simple story of Nephi introducing his life and family brought a beautiful spirit. As soon as we finished the chapter I asked, "Do you feel that spirit? Do you feel that goodness that is in this room? I do." They both nodded their heads and said how tangible it was and that their worries were less loud in their minds. We bore testimony of the power of the Book of Mormon. It is a sacred book of scripture that gives us strength to overcome trials, patience to repair wounds, and heals broken families. After that they truly committed to read, and we made a return appointment to go the next day to read with them. We closed with a prayer and they thanked us. Their entire ora changed. Oh it was beautiful! The party was happening outside, but no one noticed it; it was like the spirit created a bubble around us. 

The next day we came back and did the same thing. Slowly, slowly they are progressing. We have a baptism here this weekend - a young boy, and we're bringing them to that. This family is amazing, but without money, they cannot come to church. We can pay for them, and members can give them rides, but it makes me nervous, because if they don't have a ride they won't come. I don't want them to get baptized, then turn around and become inactive. Right now their date is in my head, but honestly my biggest priority is their testimonies. He hasn't completely stopped smoking, and my hope is that he will, and they'll use that money to come to church. They just need that final desire to commit to do it, which they don't have yet. They'll get baptized soon, but I just might not see it. In all honesty, I am okay with it :)  I did just learn that one of my investigators in Forli got baptized last month! How happy I was to receive that email! Fruits of our labors do come! :) 

One of our members just had a baby, and on Saturday we did service for the family. As we were there, I was looking at this little boy, wondering who that great big spirit inside of him was and thinking about the spirit world he just left, what is was like, and how he must feel now. He was so special, precious and innocent in this crazy world we live in. I was noticing now he could literally only do a few things: digest food, cry, sleep and breathe. The rest he relied entirely on his parents: food, shelter, protection, love. He literally cannot do anything on his own. I was reminded how we are supposed to be like that with our spirituality; 100% reliant on our Heavenly Father. I realized how far I have to go to arrive at that point. I wasn't getting down on myself; I was just thankful.  

That sweet little child will probably not always say thank you for everything, but one day he'll realize. I feel like I've gotten to the point where I realize, and now I am working on acting. I am trying to really involve Heavenly Father in every aspect of my life. It was a very spiritual moment - just looking at that sweet helpless baby. He was born in a home to parents who love him and will do anything for him and will raise him to know his true identity as a son of God. 

That evening was the baby shower for the girl we are teaching (the one I adore). She is 18 and not married. She came to her parents, and they've made the best of the situation. We've had beautiful lessons with them, and she's reached out to us for help. I love this family. As we walked in to this baby shower, I see our sweet girl, dressed as though she was going clubbing.  The spirit wasn't exactly there. Drinks were passed around, and they skipped over us and the kids, so I knew it was alcohol. They offered us soda instead. My heart just ached, thinking about this dear family the missionaries had recently reactivated.  They were falling away, and I was witnessing it. This baby, this new little life, was being born into such a different situation. I feared for our sweet girl, who was trying so hard to make the best out of the situation.  The father is not involved, and she is young and now will be a full-time single mother. My heart felt heavy for her.

I was reminded of what mom always told me; it is just better to start out right. We can all repent, come back and fix things, but it is just so much less painful to start the right way. I imagined the temple and my future family - and how from when I was little, that was and is still my goal.  I will testify however, that I have witnessed the power of the atonement that heals those broken hearts and succors those deep wounds. It is possible. The road is long and hard, but no matter where you start, it is worth it. How real God's plan is! 

I gotta go, but thank you for the prayers and support! I love you all so much and cannot even begin to imagine my life without the amazing support team and family I have. How blessed I am!!!

Love,

Sorella Montagnoli

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.