Sunday, August 11, 2013

Getting Creative...Italy is on Vacation!

letter written August 7, 2013

Dear Family,

Well, you guessed right in your email!  August in Italy is something else for missionary work.  Everyone is on vacation (FerrAgosto).  No one is on the streets. The other day we did a whole day of finding and I about died - combine the extreme heat and humidity, plus flirting old men (we got asked to go dancing) and people yelling at us; it was ridiculous. I got to the point where I just laughed! We all three were. We got a gelato and just laughed, then kept on going. It is going to be a fun month. Oh well - what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Sister Bennett, Sister Montagnoli, Sister Brown & Sister Jefferies
As for the priest, sadly that one went no where. The preacher we are actually teaching, and he was progressing. Now he must be out of town or avoiding us - not sure which. But, we will pick him up again soon. Yes - missionaries with big projects! :)

So....miracle story for this week....ya'll will get a kick out of this one. We did an MTC for our members on Sunday. It was so fun! We began speaking only in English to them, like they did to us in Italian at the MTC. It was hysterical to see their faces. I couldn't help but laugh - especially because we have a few English speakers who were laughing too. But, it was a total success! We split into groups, and we basically taught them how to give out a Book of Mormon, a pamphlet, a Family Proclamation, or other church materials to friends. Then we taught them how to follow up on the gifts and get the missionaries involved.  We did a special training for the kids too. It was so fun! They did role plays and we watched videos from the broadcast. They are finally getting excited! Actually, they already were, but they just didn't know how to transform their excitement and desires into actions. Now they do! We need our members now more than ever, because everyone here in Forli is running away from the heat. Haha -  I wish i could. We need them or else we are in for a really rough month. 
We had a special training for one family who couldn't come.  One of our less active members, who we have been working with was in the family. We had a really great experience. Her mom, Cristina shared her conversion story with us and how badly she wanted her children to feel the same way she did about the gospel. Two of her children were inactive, one died, and one is on the verge on inactivity. She told us how much we have helped her realize that she has to put things into Heavenly Father's hands, as forcing them does not do any good. She told us we have given her a new testimony of the atonement and of faith. She herself was inactive, but now she is stronger than ever. 

Her daughter Madalena is the miracle now. When I first got here, she wanted nothing to do with us. She would try to sit as far away as she could from us and avoid us. We have been slowly working with her, and watching her change has been amazing. She expressed how she wanted to come to church. We asked her how she could do missionary work and apply it in her life. Then she said, "I may not be the best example right now, but I am trying to change, I have the desire, and I want it." She is spiritually healing from very serious wounds that only the Great Healer could fix. I feel like part of the reason I will have been here for six months will be for my members and these less actives. They are truly miracles. I love them all, and I love seeing the transformation that takes place when they apply the teachings fo the gospel in their lives. 
Yes, our district got too big, and they added a new coppia in one area, plus another trio of sisters where Sister Acerson was, and it got too big. So now we are a whole different zone, and we absorbed Ravenna. There are two coppia of anziani there. Now Forli and Ravenna are a zone. I wish we had anaziani here! AH! We have had serious problems with men these past few weeks, and it would be amazing to get elders to help us.

I am slightly in shock that I am a third of the way done with my mission! It is a weird feeling...like I feel as if I have been doing this my whole life.  Yet, I remember the life I had before, and it feels like a dream. But, then I remember this is the dream, and I have to wake up in a year. I can't really explain it. 
That picture of Nick and Rex (cousins - one in the MTC now and one just returned from his mission) brought so much happiness to my missionary heart! I love them! Can someone print it off and send it to me - and the pictures dad sent from the family reunion? I love getting pictures. It probably was the highlight of my day! And the letters. I love it all. Haha - it pulls me back into reality for a moment, then I jump back into missionary mode.  Wednesdays are quite comedic here. Everyone tells about the craziness of home, updates and our families - then immediately we slip back into missionary mode. 

I am so so so so happy that you all are better! Grandpa's letter made me feel much more peaceful about home. You all are the world to me. Thank you grandpa...I love you! 
Grandpa Montagnoli, 92, lives with us.  He had 3 trips to the ER two weeks ago, but has bounced back!
I literally feel like I was a senior yesterday, and I think I hit my head or something, cuz I am now a missionary in Italy. How did that happen, and how is Lucia a senior? How is Nicole in college? How are Nick and I the missionaries and Rex is home? How how how how? I loved hearing that Lu and Sarah were dancing in the rain too! Hahah - we must be sisters or something!   
                                            Lucia & Sarah (The New Senior & New Missionary!)
Happy birthday Ashley Saturday, Mary on Sunday and mom on Tuesday! There is a surprise in the mail!  :)  Dad, I loved your letter....I am out of time, but I wanted you to know how much I loved it!  Thank you.

Wow, I am so out of time. I love you all so much! I pray so hard for you all. Thank you for your support. Nick, I love you and I am so proud of you. Harrison you are amaizng. Sarah, you blow my mind with your goodness!  Lu, you get an email. 

All my love, 

Sister Montagnoli
--
Sister Francesca Montagnoli

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.