Sunday, December 22, 2013

Faustina Baptized - Transferred to Venice (Maestre)!

Hello my dearest family! 


Well I do have to say that I seriously am NEVER alone in this country with my dad keeping tabs on me and dropping off packages at my doorstep. It is quite hilarious. I bust up every time I get a little inside scoop of my life from someone else ;) Haha. I couldn't be luckier. By the way dad, thank you for the package left at my door this week. I have been so good and have not opened a single one. It made packing my suitcases yesterday a little difficult. 

Well....where do I start. It has been a chaotic week. Lets start with Sunday. I knew that space transfers would be happening this week. I was excited for Christmas with my members who I love so much. Sunday came, and I had a feeling I might go, so I gave extra big loves to everyone just in case. My heart was a little heavy, as I realized how much I really love my people in my Little Africa of Italy. 

Monday came and we had a wonderful day, even though it was a little slow.  Actually, every day is wonderful when I look down at my tag and realize I am still a missionary.  We got permission to come in early, because we had to wake up at 3:45 am the next day to go to Verona for our Christmas Conference. I was assuming that if space transfers came, we would be told the next day, because we'd see President. Nope. Wrong. I was in bed by 9pm and just finished a prayer to Heavenly Father asking him to brace me for whatever would happen. If I were to be transferred, great; if not - even better, because I could be with my members. I ended my prayer and started falling asleep, when I hear Sister Killpack on the other side of the door, "Pronto, sono Sorella Killpack. Hello President..." 

Then my heart beat started going faster, and I realized that call was probably for me. She gave me the phone and he said "Sorella Montagnoli, I need you to go to Mestre. I need you as a Sister Training Leader. These sisters need to be trained. Can you help me with that?" I agreed of course, who doesn't agree when President asks us to do something. Then he says "You'll leave Wednesday morning." My heart stopped. That was the day of Faustina's baptism. I told him, and he said I would probably be able to figure something out. I thanked him and minutes later the assistants called me and told me that Sorella Stephens (my amazing new companion who I was in the MTC with and I love so much) would come down to Reggio, and then we'd go up together after the baptism. 

With Sorella Killpack & Jones on the train to Verona
I was thrilled and relieved. Faustina has come so far. I found her, I love her, and I didn't want to miss her baptism. Then my brain would NOT stop racing. When I got off the phone with President, I told myself I had to breath for a second, cried a little because I love these people, and then we turned off the lights. Well the lights turned off, but my brain didn't. I couldn't fall asleep. I got up, went to the bathroom, ate a granola bar, and drank some water as to give my body no excuse to not sleep. Then I still couldn't sleep, so I went and read Preach my Gospel for a bit in Italian. Finally around midnight, I fell asleep. 

My crazy, adventurous missionary life began again four hours later, as we caught the train to
With Sorella Acerson, our dearest family friend!
Verona. I have not been THAT tired since my first night here when we landed. All three of us were dead. We finally made it to Verona, and wow that city is BEAUTIFUL!!!! The best part was the sister who let us into the church...SISTER ACERSON!!! I was so thrilled to see her. I gave her a big huge hug and loved on her the whole day. She is on month five now in Verona. She is a amazing and is still going strong. She and her comp, another sister I love, are doing great things and are great comps together. 

As we were on the bus, I was just basking in the blessings we recieve from Heavenly Father. I do this every once in a while - take a pause from talking to everyone, look at where I am, and breathe it in. I was in Verona, as a missionary, with the fullness of the gospel - with the most amazing support group at home praying for me. What else could be better!!! 

Reunion in Verona with Sisters from the MTC
Our conference was so wonderful. We got some great training in, and as always I love listening to President Dibb's talks. He spoke about how we need to live at a celestial level. He gave the example of how Moses recieved the higher law and was ready for that, but the people were not, and were given the 10 commandments. We are given a temple recommend, and that is a high standard, but just having that  is not enough to get us to the celestial kingdom. We must live the higher law. When we live at that level, we don't need to worry about breaking one of the 10 commandments. When we do this, we will be more effective missionaries, teach clearer and have the spirit with us. I think he was also implying that all the missionaries should use our brains and not call him every two seconds about rules. We need to be sanctified missionaries and keep working. The whole conference was so fantastic, inspiring and spiritual. I love fine tuning my teaching skills. 

Zone Photo
After the conference we had a Thanksgiving dinner with turkey, potatoes, green beans, rolls and pumpkin cake, which made my little tummy sooooo happy. I loved it. So great. Then we had a little talent show!! We did a musical number; Sorella Killpack and I played a duet, and Sorella Jones sang. It was so fun. I hated saying goodbye to everyone. Before I knew it, I was on a train once again. By the time we got home, it was 10:30 and I just collapsed on my bed. I literally woke up in the same position I fell asleep in! 

Faustina's Baptism!
The next morning I woke up, and my companions didn't.   Sorella Jones was sooooo sick. Sister Killpack just didn't hear the alarm. I started cleaning and then out hobbles Sorella Jones crying, she felt so sick. So sad. It was such a blessing that Sorella Stephens came, so we were able to go do the baptism! The whole morning while I was packing (we all know how much I love that) Sister Killpack was disinfecting the house, since Sister Jones has strep :( Poor thing. Sister Stephens came, and Sister Killpack and I headed over to the church. We began filling the font and hung out at the church. 

Wearing an African dress made for me!
The baptism was beautiful. Faustina, my dear Faustina, has had such a difficult, hard life. When I was in Forli, I told myself I wanted to find and teach someone struggling, who thought there was no light or hope.  Well I got my wish, Faustina. She has transformed. She is a new person. Man do I love her! It has been so amazing to watch her come from such a hopeless place, to being in brilliant white the day of her baptism. She was just glowing. The spirit was again just like Simone's bapitsm. Quiet, calm and peacful. I felt like a little bit of heaven touched Reggio. The whole baptism ceremony was wonderful, complete with all my Africans, whom I love so much. At this point they all knew I was leaving, so I got to say goodbye. We went home, and I felt like my work was done in Reggio. Sorella Killpack asked me if I would have done anything differently while I was here, and if I had any regrets. I was happy to say no. I had none. I love saying that. I will miss serving with Sorella Killpack and Jones; they are great missionaries!

Now I am in the BEAUTIFUL city of Mestre (Metropolitan Venice) with my darling companion Sister Stephens. She is from SLC, and her only flaw is that she is a Ute fan. I guess I can get over that ;). Regardless, we are so excited to work and learn how to be Capi Sorelle insieme (Sister trainer leaders together).  It will be a blast. She only got called three weeks ago, so this will be an adventure. I am so thrilled to work here though. Haha! go figure, I am in Venice for Valentines Day as a missionary. Nice. Kaden guessed right! I love it though. SO pretty!!!! and I HAVE A REAL BED!!! WOOT! No more sleeping on the couch! 

As for everything that is happening at home. Please give my condolences to the Bennetts. My heart broke when I read about Brother Bennett's passing. I am so sorry. I am grateful for the knowldege we have about what happens after this life. He is such an amazing man, full of knowledge and the spirit. Ashley's baby is so very cute, I must say! Congrats Ash on the little one; I cannot wait to meet her :) 

Lucia's story really built my testimony. I prayed specifically to Heavenly Father for Him to help her this week. (Mom's note:  Being without her sisters this holiday has been hard for Lucia.)  I asked very specifically, and He did just that, and in the way that I asked. Man, I love Heavenly Father. He is so willing to come to our immediate aid. (Lucia opened to scriptures which spoke complete peace to her heart and soul, and she was fine.)

As for next week, we will probably be emailing on Tuesday, so I should be able to give you final details then. It is so weird that time has flown by and we're doing this again! AH! Only one more left until I come home! BAH my mind is blown. 

I love you all and cannot wait to see you so soon! Buon Natale! 

A dopo!!! 

Sorella Montagnoli

* Mom's note:  Cliff was flying home from Milan this Wednesday.  He ran into the Milan missionaries going home for Christmas, a little before the next transfer - thus creating a need for "space transfers".  He met the sister, whose place Francesca took in Maestre.  So, we actually knew about her reassignment before she even sent this email!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.