Saturday, December 14, 2013

Michael Baptized...My Couch Bed!


Hello my wonderful family! 
Well, Christmas here is beautiful. The nativities are up, the lights are out, and we are singing Christmas carols. It is so fun! :) People are still pretty cold to us, but hey we keep working. :)  
We are in three, but we don't have a new bed...I am sleeping on the itty bitty couch, where I can't even stretch my legs out all the way. :) All good, both of my new companions are way too tall for it. I'll just deal with it. :) I sleep in a ball. My comps are a little in culture shock, like I was when I got here (because they teach so much in English). We have only taught three lessons in Italian this week, and it has thrown them for a loop. I will say that they are much better at teaching in English than I was!  
Dad thanks for sharing all your experiences in Prague. I love how the gospel is the same all around the world. It is major proof of God's love for us -  that He always is the same and never changes, no matter where in the world we find ourselves. The spirit is always the same in any language. That was a sacred and special lesson I learned living here in this beautiful country four years ago. :)  
Well, it has been a rough week. All three of us were struggling this week with stupid little things. For some reason, I was the worst off. It was so dumb too, because I knew in my head that I was being silly, but my emotions had more power than my head. Sunday came and I just cried. Our ward mission leader gave me a blessing and that helped, but it was what opened the flood gates. I cannot even tell you what was wrong. It was the strangest thing. I didn't feel like myself and it was freaking me out. I have a diagnosis for this: New Companion Identity Crisis. This happens every time! 
Then, everything with our baptisms this weekend did not go smoothly (see end of letter).  Faustina didn't come to her interview, so we have to wait until next week for her baptism.  I did totally love that the JEFFERIES (the Senior Couple she loves so much from her last city) came to do the baptism interviews!!! They did Michael's on Thursday. It was so fun to see them as they were interviewing Michael; it made me so happy!
I have hardly told you about Michael! He is from Ghana and is so fantastic. He was supposed to get baptized over the summer.  He had four baptismal dates, but was not able to commit to the word of wisdom. He has such a good heart and wants to follow Christ. He saw us in the street about a month ago and said he wanted to meet with us.  I told him, "Well, if you want to meet with us, we are free right now or in an hour." He said, "Are you serious?" I said, "Yes are you?" 
He was and we met an hour later, and since then he has progressed beautifully. We decided to approach the word of wisdom a little differently this time, because he had already gotten the...you must do this before you are baptized lesson. So we started the lesson wtih obedience to all the commandments.  Then we went to the plan of salvation and drew it out special for him, with his name in the pre-mortal existence, during life now, and then in the celestial kingdom. We were trying to give him a big vision of the Plan of God. Then we had a word of wisdom lesson, and he seemed to understand. I asked him when the last time he drank was, and he said he couldn't remember. He stopped all on his own! He received a blessing and from there he has been coming to church, keeping commitments and now is baptized! It was so beautiful to see him change. I have not seen him so happy, ever! He has a beautiful new light about him. He is smiling, glowing, and peaceful! He now has the priesthood and the holy ghost and is a changed man. I love watching these transformations!  
On Sunday when I got a blessing from Fratello Danso, our ward mission leader, it said a lot of the things that were in my setting apart. It brought a lot of peace to my turmoiled heart this week. Plus all the missionaries in my city are so great, and they all were trying to make me laugh all day, especially the elders, and they succeeded. Laughing was the best medicine. 
Then I got home on monday from a CRAZY day, and I checked the mail to find Lucia's letter. Man am I lucky. She said everything I needed and gave me the kick I was lacking. Heavenly Father is so aware of me; he sends me angelic help regularly. I am happy now, I feel like I am back to myself, and I am still so in love with these members and city. They are all great.   
Mom you are absolutely right, I am spoiled with dad being so close and dropping off packages at my door. :) I will make sure Lucia gets spoiled on her mission. She deserves it for all she has done for me. Even if I have to empty my pockets and mail her the packages :) I am so blessed for my family.  I know not everyone comes from happy homes and positive circumstances, and I thank my Heavenly Father every day for you all. I don't know what I did to deserve this amazing support group, but I will do anything in my power to pay Him back to show my gratitude. 
Being in three is always a fun experience and we are managing it  well. These sisters are so strong, they are brilliant, and I am so lucky to have them. 
You are probably wondering what happened w/ the baptism: quick recap because I still don't like to think about it. No one really showed up, the water stopped so there wasn't enough, our member didn't have his white clothes, the towels were missing, Michael didn't have underwear, and he had to be baptized three times - but he did it! He made it!!! AHHH! :) It was so wonderful, and now I can breathe. This week I have felt like Heavenly Father was practically holding me up, but we did it together. I love this mission, I love these people, and I am so grateful for my trials, because they always make me stronger. Even if in the moment all I want to do is give up, I never do. Thank heavens, cuz He never gives up on us! :)  
I love you all!  Thank you!
Love,
Sorella Montagnoli
--
Sister Francesca Montagnoli
alicia.montagnoli@myldsmail.net
http://sorellamontagnoli.blogspot.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.