
Letter written May 8th
Well, time is flying by faster and faster, and I cannot believe it. This transfer is almost over! If time in general is like this the older you get, no wonder we're told to take advantage of every moment. You blink, and it is gone. It is like trying to hold water in your hands; at the beginning you have a lot, and a second later you have only a little portion. This week especially has been nuts…we had a scambio (exchange), mission council, mission conference, we're putting on two concerts the next two days, and then it is Mother's Day, and then transfers!
So basically, reality is slowly but surely hitting me about how "old" I am in the mission. It is very odd to go to mission conferences and councils and not see my leaders anymore. I was SO intimidated the first time I went to mission council, because almost every missionary in the room had been my leader at one point. Now it feels like they've all disappeared, and I'm the only one left standing on the desert island! haha! Then, I went to our mission conference and didn't know half of the missionaries, because so many are new.
Except for the sad realization my time here is winding up, we really had a beautiful week. I feel like I have done the most missionary work here in Mestre/Venice - more than in any other city, yet we seem to be struggling with second appointments and our numbers may not reflect all of our efforts and the good we have done. Yet, I am so peaceful, and serena. I have felt like I have fulfilled my calling in every sense of the word, yet it just doesn't always show up on paper. How do you effectively measure the souls you reach and touch?

I had a woman come up to me in English class the other day, and she said, "Sorella Montagnoli, sei sempre sorridente. Come mai? Veramente tu sei serena? Oppure, e una cosa sforzata? Sorella Montagnoli, you are always so cheerful. How come? Are you really that happy, or is it something forced? I happily responded that I truly am so happy.

I had a woman come up to me in English class the other day, and she said, "Sorella Montagnoli, sei sempre sorridente. Come mai? Veramente tu sei serena? Oppure, e una cosa sforzata? Sorella Montagnoli, you are always so cheerful. How come? Are you really that happy, or is it something forced? I happily responded that I truly am so happy.
At our mission council we learned how happiness is a choice. I guess some are having an attitude issue on the mission, so our Assistants to the President (APs) gave us a training to then give to our missionaries about attitudes. It is not things that make us happy; it is the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is the blessings that come from obedience. Our Savior Jesus Christ, who can be our true source of joy and progression, can make us happy, if we choose that. Circumstances don't make us happy; that is in our head. It is how we choose to react to our circumstances.
There are moments, usually at night after a long day, when I take time to just think. I'm silent and think of how blessed I am, and I realize how happy I am. I thought I was happy before my mission…I was wrong. I cannot even begin to put into words what true happiness is. Words aren't sufficient. Happiness is having the spirit. Happiness is truth. Happiness is service. Happiness is love. Happiness is relationships. Happiness is heaven.
The things I treasure most are my journals, photos, and scriptures (PMG Preach my Gospel included). Those are the "things" which have helped me recognize the source of my happiness. Our mission conference was led by Anziano (Elder) Snow (the church historian), President Kieri (a member of our Area Presidency), and Brother Nielson (another member of the church history department). They spoke to us a lot about genealogy and about how record keeping, aka journals, are sooo important! They have original church historical items: clothing, canes, watches, original manuscripts of the Book of Mormon translations, the first copies of everything, all the revelations ever given! The collection is referred to as the "Modern Hill Cumorah." ![]() |
| Rex (cousin) this is for you! (photo of his friend) |
It was also requested that we all fill out genealogy books. We're hitting the genealogy hard here in Italy, in preparation for the temple. They've asked us to request from our parents pictures of our ancestors. I think the book goes back to great, great grandparents. If you could send me pictures that'd be great.
I feel the fire of the hastening the work of salvation spreading across this great land. I love it. I am so honored to be a part of it. I love every aspect of missionary work! My life feels like a dream. No matter how rough the days are, they are still the best.
I gotta go, but I love you all; you're amazing! Thank you for the prayers! You all are in mine!
Love,





No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.