Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Transferred to Vercelli!

Letter Written May 14th
Drum roll please................... I am being transferred to Vercelli! Dad you got your wish.I'm literally 40 minutes from Torino! (Mom's note:  Her grandpa watches Italian tv and is obsessed with all he sees about Torino.  Cliff -dad- felt like Grandpa would find so much joy in that!)  We got the call on Monday. I am being released from STL (Sister Training Leader) after 5 months! They're calling a whole lot of new people in to train them to take our places. I will be finishing the training of a new sister in Vercelli. I think I will be finishing my mission there, and it sounds like a great fit. 
Our traditional "bunny cake" - with Sorella Gillette!

I have only heard good things from Vercelli. It is a small city (which I like), with fabulous members who love missionaries.  I am excited. I have already shed a few tears leaving. The only comfort is that I can say to everyone here in Mestre/Venice, "Ci vediamo fra alcuni mesi."  (We'll see each other in just a few months.)  Otherwise this would be too hard.  I am really going to miss Sorella Gillette; I just LOVE her! I thank Heavenly Father every night for the second chance He gave us to be together another time. I have been serving the last 6 months with sisters I came out with, so I am wondering what it will be like to be companions with someone SO young in the mission. I am regularly out doing scambi (exchanges) with these young sisters, but then I go back to my companion.  Well, here we go! :) I get another new best friend, new members to love with all my heart and new people to find. PLUS, I can do P-days with Sorella RUSSELL (her companion a few transfers back)! She is in Collegno! :) 

This week has been beyond crazy fast. On Thursday night we had a concert at the hospital. All the BYU Chamber Orchestra came, and they played. :) It was fun, and I found an old friend from junior high, who I haven't seen in about 6 years! 

Friday we had a beautiful lesson with a woman named Lucia. She is in our ward and is the most courageous woman I have ever met. She had cancer, almost couldn't have children, got married, they got pregnant and their son has a serious liver problem. He is 4 1/2 and has had more surgeries than I have years. He is so sweet.  They can't ever leave the house really, because he might catch something. This stress had a huge impact on Lucia, and it breaks my heart. We thought to share our video, "Because of Him". Well, it is the church's video, but Sorella Gillette and I are fanatics; we love it :) and use it daily. 

As we watched this beautiful message of the Savior, tears just fell down her face. I was so touched by her strength and testimony. I bore testimony of the atonement, that it covers more than just our mistakes. Every feeling and effort, every heart ache, every sense of desperation, exhaustion, abandonment and fearHe, our Savior Jesus Christ has felt. He has felt it all, so that he can provide comfort to all of us. How loved we are by our Him and our Heavenly Father. They provide an instant succor to our endless needs. Lucia then pulled out a picture of a little child sitting next to Christ, and she said, "I often see my son in this picture. I see Christ just loving him and taking care of him, but then sometimes I picture me."  At that point the tears weren't even worth stopping. My testimony grew. 

It is moments like that when I feel like I am more than just a missionary. It's moments like that when I realize how blessed we are to have this knowledge. It's moments like that when I feel like I have a flash into Heavenly Father's heart - seeing how much He infinitely loves his children. 

Later that night we went to the church, where they held another concert, typo (similar to) Music and the Spoken Word. The best part was Ester. Ester walked in, and I sat in shock. I have NEVER seen her in the church, and I have only seen her out of her house once. She's been sick. We went over to their house yesterday, and she said she was going to make it happen, and she was coming to church. I have seen her testimony grow and grow. It has been so beautiful to be a part of her life these past 5 months! I literally love her so much. I often find myself speechless when I try to explain my love for my people here. 

I am sad to close this chapter, but look forward to this new one. :) I love, love, love, love Mestre/Venice. As my members have found out I am being transferred, they've been calling me, thanking me for my service, and sending me their love. People I didn't think hardly knew me or cared I was there have given me some of the biggest loves. One sister took her bracelet off her wrist so I could remember her. Another called and told me how of all the sisters who have passed through, she feels the closest to me, that we have a special connection…that we found and taught her friends, her husband, and loved our sisters here. Dad, it was the sister you gave my package to. I got a huge knot in my throat when she called on the phone. I cannot say that I have a favorite city, but it is definitely in my top 4 :) haha! I think the people are the most beautiful part of the mission. The numbers, the city, the food, or the culture don't seem to matter so much; it is the people. This work is one of people - working with our brothers and sisters. When we see them like that, we truly understand our identity as members of God's eternal Family. 

I love you all! It was sooooo fun to see you all on skype! I have been glowing for days! People in my group have called me and asked how I've been feeling. I can honestly say, "FABULOUS!" Skype didn't make me trunky, or anything like that.I am just happy. Happy and peaceful and tranquil. Thank you for being the world's best family. The world's best support group. The world's best missionaries. I love you! 

Oh, and dad, I guess it is a good thing I got transferred this week, so now when you are working here next week, you can come to Venezia (Venice) for church! Sorella Gillette likes that idea a lot! Or you could go in Trieste.  I was the STL for that city; BEAUTIFUL area holy cow! 

Love,
Sorella Montagnoli

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.