Sunday, February 2, 2014

Guest Teachers in a Catholic School!

Well... I am alive and still in Venice/Maestre!  Thank you for putting my name on the temple prayer roll. :)  This last month or so, I have been so tiredly tired, working so hard, and I needed that boost.

This week has been really cool! I don't have a lot of time. Our numbers weren't as high, but we had some amazing miracles to compensate, and we did a scambio (exchange)! 

Our bishop's daughter is quite the little missionary. A couple of months ago she asked her religion teacher if she could have the Sister Missionaries from her church come talk to the class. They'd been talking about the different religions in the class (catholic, orthodox, and muslim) but nothing about her relgion. She is 11 years old and has her head on straight! They put most of their emphasis in school on Catholicism, and she wanted her class to know who she was and what she believed. So she asked, and it took about two months for it to get approved, but it happened! We were not aware of it until Sunday - when our bishop came up to us and told us we had an appointment on Thursday. Well, we panicked because that was when we were supposed to go to Vicenza for a scambio. We also had appointments with our fantastic investigators, which we didn't think were changable. Low and behold, Heavenly Father really wanted us at this school appointment, and it all worked out. 

Sister Stephens and I were a little worried, because no one knew what we would be doing there - if we would have the whole class time or only five minutes. If we were supposed to teach the doctrine we believe in, or if it was a question answer session? No one knew. We prayed and prepared all week. We resolved to teach a simple Plan of Salvation for them. The bishop wanted us to teach about the things we have in common and not to talk too much about the restoration.  We had everything ready and were praying for the best. We went with the Bishop's wife, and before we went in, we said a prayer in the car. I leaned over to Sister Stephens and told her I felt like Alma and Amulek being interrogated by Zeezrom. I did however have faith that Heavenly Father would put into our mouths the things that were appropriate for the situation. He came through. 

We didn't even teach the plan of salvation. We taught the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. Then it turned to a question/answer period, more with the teacher than the kids. How grateful I was to Heavenly Father in that moment. Their questions weren't outrageous, but not the questions we normally get from adults. These kids didn't hold back. They had questions about ordinances, "sacraments", clothes we where, why we believe in the Book of Mormon, the structure of the church, a little stuff on authority, and all that fun stuff. They even asked about makeup - if we were allowed to wear it and jewelry. 

In the end, I just was filled with relief and peace in my heart. We left a great impression with them and they felt the spirit. It was so beautiful. I hope they remember those girls with the tags that talked about a special book. This is the first time mormon missionaries have been permitted to enter and teach in a catholic school. Our bishop's wife left pamphlets for the teacher, and she said she would read them and was excited to learn about us. It was such a miracle! Just like grandpa says, "We made history!" Haha! 

I love you all! Sorry I gotta go, but thank you for your prayers and support! I couldn't do this without you all! I did call our mission nurse, and they might send me in for a blood test. These last few days I've been praying REALLY hard for energy and to sleep at night, because that is part of the problem. Heavenly Father has really helped supplement me the last few days.  I have noticed something about prayers. When we pray, it isn't to change the will of God, but to ask for help to change ourselves enough to cope with whatever situation we find ourselves in. With this exhaustion, I realized I shouldn't be praying for energy to run up a mountain, but rather enough energy to teach my lessons, to talk to people on the bus, or make one more phone call.  I haven't been asking lately for "Lucia amounts" of energy, but for enough.  Enough to do the work.  He has done that for me. :) Thank you for your prayers and support. 

Missionary season never ends! :) We'll always have misisonaries out! There are SOOOO many of us grandchildren who have yet to experience all this. I actually am not getting Stafford, Harrison, Andrew Sanford, Nick or Emma's emails. Can I somehow get those? :) I love printing them off and reading them throughout the week. 

All my love! 
Sorella Montagnoli

p.s. There is a surprise in the mail for ya'll!

alicia.montagnoli@myldsmail.net
http://sorellamontagnoli.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.