Sunday, April 6, 2014

A Baptism, a Death, & Transfers…an Emotional Week!

What a week!
Sis. Montagnoli & Stephens - in African dresses
made for them, with Caroline & daughter Honor
On Saturday we had Caroline's baptism. The whole day was chaotic. We showed up at the church, and the Bishop seemed a little stressed. I asked what was wrong and if everything was ready for the baptism. Then he tells me the water heater is broken. The water is ice cold. They kept trying to fix it, but it was just not working. Caroline was already there waiting. We got her ready, hoping that it would be fixed, so she could be baptized. Half an hour later still not fixed. We told Caroline the situation and asked if she wanted to postpone her baptism until the next day after church. She said no. We were surprised and told her to go feel the water.  She said, "No, I will baptize tonight." So we carried on.

The Sister Missionaries w/the Bishop, Caroline & Honor
Sister Stephens and I put on our African dresses, and we began her baptismal program. Next problem - the font wasn't full; it barely reached the Bishop's waist. The next miracle was that she actually was able to go under the water completely. After she went under, she practically shot up into the Bishop's arms and began to cry. I'm not sure if she was more shocked by the water or the beautiful spirit she felt, but it was the sweetest thing to see him holding her there for a minute before she got out of the baptism font.

The Bishop then told us how he'd said a prayer before he got in the water to have Heavenly Father heat the water up. In his own way, Heavenly Father took care of the situation. At first he said there was the initial shock of the frigid water, but then it was gone. He couldn't even feel the cold; same with Caroline. It was overall a beautiful night of miracles. She was confirmed and received the gift of the Holy Ghost on Sunday. She's officially a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints; another daughter of God has accepted him fully.

A "GREAT TEAM" & Life-Long Friends!!!
Well, I am officially SOOOO sad :( Sister Stephens is leaving me!!! I honestly thought it was a joke for a second, because it was April fools when we got transfer calls. We got a call from the Assistants to the President, asking if we had received a call from our Capi. We replied no, and I just started to panic. Why on earth were the Assistants calling!?! It was at that point that I lost all my appetite. No desire whatsoever to eat anything, and we had just made lunch. Five minutes later we got an unknown call. I answered (I usually answer the unknowns) and on the other end was Sister Gillette. RANDOM! She was just called as an STL (Sister Trainer Leader) and was in Milano. She asked if I had heard anything. I said no, and she then said, "Oh just kidding! I gotta go bye!" I then started to really panic. We sat in silence, then made ourselves eat our lunch we had been staring at.  

Then the phone rings again (I refused to answer it this time) and it is the Capi (Zone Leaders). Sorella Stephens responded, and I just felt a huge pit in my stomach. Sister Stephens is going to Milano, and Sister Gillette (my MTC companion!) is coming here to take her place. So, I will be staying in Venice/Maestre as an STL.  I am so happy to have made so many life long friends that I could not live without.

To top off an emotional week, I called the Jefferies (the Senior missionary couple who were so good to her in Forli) on Monday to tell them goodbye, before they left for home - finishing their mission. They then proceeded to tell me that Fratello Rossi (President Wolfgram's mission counselor in Forli, a very strong member, who was also so very kind to Francesca) had passed away. I got news a few weeks ago he had a brain hemorrhage, but that they thought he'd be on the mend. Then last Thursday he had a stroke and passed away. To add to that, they are taking the sisters out of Forli, that beautiful city I opened, and are putting elders back. My little branch I love so much is struggling. They now only have 3 Melchizedek priesthood holders there, so they need the elders. 

Le Sorelle Missionarie with Paula in Venice
After I got off the phone with the Jefferies, we had to quickly hop on a bus to Venice, and I just couldn't stop the tears from flowing. The Rossi family was what kept me going in Forli. My heart is just broken. He reminded me a lot of dad - a quiet, hard worker, a spiritual giant, and an amazing father, husband, and grandfather. Please keep Forli and the especially the Rossi family in your prayers. 

Honestly, today I'm at the point where my heart is more tired than my body. We'll keep it all going though! :) Thank you for all your prayers and support. I love you all. Dad, you'd be happy to hear I bought some echo's (Cliff's favorite shoes) so I'll be all set for the summer. You all are amazing! I couldn't be okay without you. I have a letter I'll be mailing out as soon as I finish it. It'll go into more detail about this week, the events, etc.

Love you! 

Sorella Montagnoli

alicia.montagnoli@myldsmail.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.