Sunday, April 27, 2014

My Korihor & Alma Experience!

Letter Written April 23rd

This week we saw oodles of miracles! :) We got to do two scambi (exchanges) with our sisters this week, and actually right now I am on scambio with our sisters here in Trieste. We're p-daying it up with them here in this beautiful city, and then I go home with Sorella Reichert to do our scambio. SO fun. :) I love doing these scambi! One scambio miracle was with Sorella Carter!

 The MIRACLE:  We were on a tram going to a meno attiva's (less active) home. We got on and one of our meno attivi saw, so I went over and was talking to her. We got off, and a woman was going in our same direction. Sister Carter stops her and compliments her beautiful eyes. This led into a lesson! She said that she has been searching for things in her life, and that she saw us on the tram. She said that she was hoping we would talk to her, and then was hoping we'd get off at the same stop so maybe she could talk to us. This woman is so elect; she asked for a Book of Mormon! She is 34, Italian and looking for light! She became a new investigator too!  

That was a major miracle for me, because in some ways, I was starting to lose a little faith in our Italians! (They teach many who are foreigners.)  So many just don't want to listen to our wonderful message! So this was HUGE FOR ME! She has such a good heart. We taught her how to pray, and she LOVED it. She felt like she was really able to talk to God, instead of using someone else's words. It is amazing to me that this most vital and precious key was lost in the Apostasy - knowing that not only Heavenly Father exists, but that we can talk to Him, as easily as it is to send a text! People love that connection to Heavenly Father, the moment we teach it! PRAYER POWER! 

Last week I was in Verona with Sorella Alley, who Marianne (our dear family friend) had trained. :) We were on the train heading to Verona when we saw this beautifulwell I'm just going to write what I wrote in my journal. I just finished reading Alma 30, where we read of the anti-Christ Korihor. He went around telling the world there was no Christ, and that it was all false doctrine. He had a hard and closed heart. Alma testifies, and Korihor dismisses it completely. Alma says, "Ye have nothing but your word only. I have all things as a testimony that these things are true." He continues to testify that all things denote there is a God and a Supreme creator. Nothing touched Korihor's heart, because it was locked and barb wired shut. So God sends a curse, and he was struck numb. That was the ONLY thing to get him to acknowledge the truth. That is pretty intense. Alma however was not shaken. Not withstanding Korihor's attacking words, he knew the truth and did not waver. 

A similar experience happened to us on our train back to Verona yesterday morning. A woman got on the train in Podova; she had three little kids and a huge back pack.  The train was full, and there was no where for her to sit. We offered our seats to her and began to talk. She spoke English beautifully, because her husband is American.  She was so kind, and we spoke of the gospel of Jesus Christ, then began speaking of eternal families. Here I am thinking, "This family is GOLD!" 

Then her husband gets on the train a few stops later. The situation took a 180 degree flip. He began drilling us with penetrating questions about faith and our purpose in life. We responded that we are to have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, repentance, baptism, receive the Holy Ghost, and endure to the end. Aka - continually doing good things, because we are judged by our hearts and our works. We cannot just have faith, we must act. We are judged by our labors. He then says how wrong we are, that we are teaching false doctrine, and the moment we accept Christ as our Savior we are saved. We can murder, steal, lie, cheat, commit adultery, and do whatever we want here, as long as we accept Christ as our Savior. 

My heart ached for this man. I will never forget his name either. I would try to testify, but he'd throw it down, interrupt, and attack what I said. I knew as soon as he asked us to pull out the Bible, he was not going to listen.  He was closed and had all his answers. I testified when I could, but the spirit was just gone - not even kind of there. He said he would "wiki" us, so I offered a pamphlet/pass a long card, so he could go to lds.org to see what we believe, but he refused it. I have only met a few people like that so far on my mission, and it breaks my heart each time. I felt like Alma. I stood as a witness of Christ. I wasn't phased by his "piercing daggers" of words. I know the truth, and I am grateful, eternally for that knowledge. 


It was a moment I will never forget. I was a little shaky afterward, because I have never had a grown man, father, husband (AND AMERICAN) be so rude and cruel to me - a young 21 year old MISSIONARY. I was shocked, but sadly that exists in the world. Everything I knew and loved and believed in was under attack, but that foundation I had, have and will forever have is build upon Jesus Christ.  I would not have been able to do that in the past. I am almost suprised at myself and what the Lord has done for me. Not my own strength, but His." It reminded me of Elder Holland's talk, when he said how we place our most precious treasures, so close to our hearts, for the world to see, to ridicule and to attack.  But, we also put ourselves out on the line for those few who are looking for it - those who hear our words, which ring true to their hearts. Their spirit recognizes the goodness. 


Here's the next miracle.  Just after our "Korihor attack" on the train, Sorella Alley heard this other woman speaking English and began talking to her. She was really touched by what we said and asked if we really believed that. Sorella Alley responded yes, and then this woman says, "I would like to know that." She was ready and listening to our every word. This man made a scene on a train full of people, but we kept our feet firmly planted, and we were kind and bore testimony. I wonder who else was touched. 


It kind of reminds me of Abinadai.  He was also under attack, and one man heard him. One man took that and changed nations. How fabulous is that. I invite every youth right now to build their testimony, and make it strong. You never know what will happen when you are put on the spot. I have been several times on my mission, and even before my mission in high school. Youth, be ready to stand. The message of the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ is the message that will save all of our brothers and sisters. IT is the message that heals hearts, mends families, and gives us hope for a better world. It gives us our families for eternity! 

All of this came from one young boy's prayer, Joseph Smith. It opened the path for the restoration of the church of Jesus Christ.  One prayer searching for truth changed my life and millions of others. All of our plain, simple, vital truths are here again on the earth -  never to be taken from us. How great is our Father in Heaven. He truly loves, cares and worries about us. His plan is divine, and so many do not know it. It is the only way to happiness. There is none other that will help us arrive at everlasting joy. 

As a representative of Jesus Christ, I testify that He lives, that Joseph Saw Him, and today our Savior governs His church - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, through priesthood revelation to a living prophet of God, Thomas S. Monson. I love this Gospel, and I love His plan. It is where I find safety. I plan on enjoying all of the blessings He has to offer me. It is just not smart to do otherwise. 

It is official.I am beyond weirded out that Kaden (her favorite boy) has finished his mission (Africa) and is home. I am numb. I literally just sat and stared at the computer screen in unbelief. Of course he looks wonderful :) I honestly have no words to say.  

They don't give us details about Skype calls for Mother's Day until a few days before. I'll probably know that next Wednesday. I would like Kaden theretell Sandy thank you :) I'll tell her too! 


Love you all, thank you for the prayers. 

Love, Sorella Montagnoli

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.