Friday, March 8, 2013

Final Weeks at the MTC

My wonderful family -

We just got back from the temple.  I saw the same sister again, who showed so much love to me last week when I needed it.  Her name is Marlene Thomas. What a wonderful place!  Daddy, I think of you every time we go; 26 years ago you went through this same temple to receive the most precious gift ever.  I love it!  My favorite is that I feel like I belong in the temple.  I feel safe, happy, and comfortable there.  It's probably why I love p-days so much - and the fact that I get to put sweats on for a minute right when I get home.  :)

As for the spiritual events of this week - we were spoiled!  First, I have to say that Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays here at the MTC are my favorite - because of all the amazing spiritual uplifting I get.  Every Sunday morning the sisters get to listen to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  So every Sunday I see familiar faces:  Sister Bradshaw, Sister Woodfield, Mrs. McMurray, Brother Shetzelaar, and Mr. Warby.  For Relief Society Sister Cook, 1st Counselor in the General Young Women's Presidency came and spoke to us.  It was phenomenal!  She gave us tips of success in being a good missionary:  1. Love your companion, 2. Obey with exactness, and 3.  Be worthy always to call upon the holy ghost.  These were all things I had heard before, but then she mentioned that as missionaries we are in the business of saving lives.  She then showed a Mormon Message which touched my heart.  (Look it up and watch it on lds.org!)  The whole message was that when lightening strikes we need to be worthy and ready.  As I pondered the message, I thought of when Grandpa fell and you and mom were in Europe.  The people around me were ready to act...the priesthood jumped in and gave Grandpa a blessing (Bro. Lee & Bro. Moon).  I loved that, but what hit me more was when I was at my breaking point, and I fell to my knees in prayer that evening after I had put Grandpa to bed.  I cried to Heavenly Father asking for help.  Not two minutes later, Kaden (and Andrew) walked in.  He brought me (along w/Lucia) into another room and gave us priesthood blessings.  He was ready to act.  Another example - the age change for missionaries.  I hadn't been preparing or planning for a mission, but the moment the lightening struck with the announcement, hundreds of girls - not just me - were ready to act.  There is great power in that!

Our Tuesday devotional was even better!  Elder Ballard came and spoke to us.  Before I tell you about his message, I wanted to tell you I got to do something really fun.  I have always been taught to share my talents and not hide them - but to use them to serve the Lord.  Since I love to sing and am blessed with that talent, I dragged Sister Gillette to sing in the MTC choir.  :)  She later thanked me.  We sang "Consider the Lilies" (and yes, I thought of my Lu munchkin).  This was the song we sang for Elder Ballard.  I got to sing for an apostle of God - sharing my talent for one of His direct mouthpieces.

Elder Ballard now has a very special place in my heart.  I feel very young to be a missionary.  There are still a lot of older sisters here, and I have felt a bit inferior to them.  Elder Ballard gave me confidence.  He said that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have frequently placed the future of the gospel in the hands of youth:  David, Daniel, Nephi, Moroni, Mary, and Joseph.  All were youth and all were amazing examples.  The Lord trusts us; he trusts 18/19 year olds who are "Blazing the trail for the future.  It is your responsibility to be the most outstanding missionaries for the future generations.  This will require us to grow up fast; to be confident and to trust.  Do not shrink in trial; grow!"  It was SO GOOD!  His message fueled my fire and made me want to be the best missionary in the field!

I can literally feel and see my testimony growing.  I am so excited, thrilled, and blessed to be able to do this for the next 17 months!  I love the gospel and the happiness it brings!  The miracles that happen as a missionary are not comparable to any other experience!

As for your questions about logistics here at the MTC....
We do have six sisters in one room.  We don't have a lot of space, but we're not too cramped.  We don't spend hardly any time here anyways, just sleeping and changing clothes.  I have heard rumors about turning part of BYU housing into residence for missionaries.  They've got to put us all somewhere.  Our numbers grow each week; it's amazing!  Every speaker who comes in says the MTC sure has gotten prettier; guess why - ha! you got it...there are so many sisters!  We were told that the sister missionary force is going to rival the power of the 2,000 stripling warriors!  The respect the sisters have is so outstanding.  I am honored to be one.  We've been told that God hand picks his sister missionaries.  My wonderful mommy was one and and so am I.

Yes, all ten of us in my district are in one classroom.  Yes, it is very squishy and yes it gets very hot and stuffy, and yes - the spirit makes it all worth it!  Being together all the time, we've run into a problem of sharing sickness.  Just about my whole district has caught what each other has had - all but three (myself included).  I've had my own issues though with the food, but not the same stomach issues I had before.  After breakfast, I would have an upset stomach and pain, but it went away by ten.  I have found a good solution - a whole wheat bagel and banana, and things are better.  The food here isn't that bad, but it is not fine dining. 

Something crazy...I get my travel plans Thursday!  I am almost done here and we get to be hosts for the new missionaries on Wed.  Where did the time go?  My Italian is improving, especially when I bare my testimony - the language really flows.  It is amazing to see the gift of tongues work through the Lord's missionaries.  I'm no longer bored in class, which is nice, and I am comfortable teaching and answering most questions.  I feel like I have all the information I need in my head; I am just working on organizing it!  I'm currently trying to make sense of it all, so I sound educated when I speak.  Ha!  Speaking of speaking, my district very much enjoys the fact that the Italian, who lived in Italy, and already knows Italian, can't roll her "R's"!  So frustrating!  One day for a solid 20 minutes I tried to roll that silly letter and it still won't work!  One day my district says they're going to throw a party when I finally do it. 

I'm so glad you liked the pictures I sent.  I love it here.  It is the best feeling in the world not to be the new kid at the MTC.  I really am not a fan of that feeling.  Ha - except I should bite my tongue, because shortly after we've been trained in Italy, they'll need us to train, since there are 55 going in this transfer and after us, 69!  There aren't enough experienced comps for all of us.  Mom...help!  Slightly freaked out. 

I guess I talk about my family more than I realize, because some sisters in my room said they wanted to meet my family.  I asked why?  Their response - "They sound so fun!  I can tell you have a blast together!".  I couldn't help but agree!  Ha - mom, yes, I was happy throwing in my handprint sweats!  Tickled even - dad helped me! :)  If I can't have my family in Italy with me, I at least need my pooh bear, sweats, and sheets - all the comforting things I had before in Italy with me.  Other VERY useful things that you sent with me are:  missionary pal (best friend; use it a ton), 501 Italian verbs (used every day), my wonderful backpack & scripture case, my shower bag, and my very warm coat and boots (thank you Grandpa; I am never cold!)

Dad, I hope things went well with your big week at work.  It's no surprise to me that mom has hardly left grandmother's side.  I'd do the same for my mommy.  I've got quite the shoes to fill in behind my mom.  There's a reason people call her Santa Marta!  I'm glad to hear grandmother's healing well.  Now what's up with my blonde sister?  Sarah, what's the deal?  How do you even get a kidney infection?  What are they doing to help?  Oh, and thank you for sending me all of Kaden's emails.  It made my day.  Did Joe get a job?  How's Michelle?  I'm glad she got my letter!  There is a sister here who looks just like Casey; it is so weird!  Mommy, trust me, I feel your encouraging love and prayers!  There is a special communication unlike any other when we pray for each other.  A mother daughter relationship is already so special, but through a returned missionary mother with a missionary daughter, an unpenetrable bond is formed. 

I love you all!  (Lu, I sent a separate letter for my bloog.)  I have such an amazing support group!  Thank you all for your love, prayers, confidence, and encouragement!  I am so blessed!

Vi voglio bene!

Love, Sorella Montagnoli

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.