Monday, March 18, 2013

She's off to Italy Tomorrow!

Tomorrow Sorella Montagnoli heads off to Italy!  We are excited to get to talk to her while she is at the airports (SLC, Chicago, and London).  While in the MTC, she has been sending hand written letters, which I then later type and post on her blog.  Due to "life" I get the letters up about a week later.  So the letter below was actually written on March 7th, before her birthday.  We haven't yet received the letter she wrote on her last p-day (March 14th), the day after her birthday.  She did send me a quick email saying:  

I had a FABULOUS BIRTHDAY!  It was beyond amazing, possibly one of my favorite and most memorable birthdays I've ever had!  Marianne and Sister Gillette decorated my room and holy cow - the packages were AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!  All my family, friends, and the missionaries have been SO SWEET to me!  I even got to play volleyball!  I got so many packages and letters from people; I honestly doubt I will be able to send thank you's before I go.  Mom, will you please tell everyone thank you!  At some point, I will be able to write everyone back, but in the meantime please pass on that I am SO GRATEFUL for your love, support, and birthday wishes!!!

I was beyond thrilled that dad went out and scoped out out my "new stomping ground".  That made me smile and actually gave me a little reassurance.  I got a little antsy on Wed, but overall I feel like I'm living my dream mission.  I'm not worried about the language, culture, companion, or anything like that.  Maybe I'm crazy, but whatever :)!  There is seriously nothing I'd rather be doing.  It's so fun, so hard, and so rewarding!  LOVE!  

I love you all so, so, so much!  Thank you for being so amazing and supportive of me.  I am the luckiest and most blessed sister missionary in the field!

Love,

Sorella Montagnoli

Once she is in Italy, she will email a letter to us each week, and I will immediately post it on her blog. You can write her via dearelder.com, which is easy and convenient, and cost $1.10.   They do not have a free pouch.  A letter to Italy costs about the same.  Once she gets there, she'll let me know if only her family can send her email, or if others can as well.  I'll pass on that info.

The address to her mission home is:

Italy Milan Mission Office
Via Gramsci, 13/4
20090 Opera (MI) Italia
Italy

March 7th Letter:

Hello family!

First off, I have the most wonderful, in love, fantastic parents ever. :)  Both of you wrote me on Sunday about your experience with grandmother.  Each of you expressed your love and admiration for each other.  I shared it with the girls in my room (who are in my zone and district) - and I win the award for the best, in love parents.

I'm glad you like all the pictures I'm sending.  I have a lot of fun taking them! :)  I am so happy at the MTC and having fun.  That is so awesome our ward is doing missionary month!  I love it!  My sister is going to rock it.  She's a much better person than I am and will be a fabulous missionary.  The Montagnoli Missionaries...I like the sound of that.

Dad, tell the people in Italy they've got 119 missionaries coming their way by the end of April.  56 of us will arrive there next Wednesday!  Our tentative flight plans are...fly out of SLC Tues March 19th, then route through Chicago and London before arriving in Milano.  We are flying on a regional jet and have been told the plane will be ALL missionaries.  So amazing!!! :)

It really hit me this week that here in the MTC we are not here to learn a language.  They teach us to TEACH the gospel of Jesus Christ in Italian (or whatever language), not to speak Italian.  These missionaries can't even say simple words, like car, in Italian, but everyone can share a simple, but beautiful testimony in Italian.  It's the most convincing witness I've ever seen that God wants His children to know that He lives.  Each of us has had moments of feeling in adequate.  It makes me think of being thrown in cold water.  At first it is shocking and freezing, but the longer you're in it, you get used to it.  The temperature doesn't change; your body adjusts to it.  It's still a little uncomfortable, but it isn't as shocking.  The cold water can be the gospel, a language, or any situation.  Yes, this water is cold, but I've adjusted.  I daily feel like I'm being stretched and pulled, but I can already see the blessings.  It's such a blessing to serve!

For those of you thinking or preparing for missions (who will be reading this), I will testify to you that there is NOTHING more fantastic!  Not family, not a relationship, not school, nor a sport can trump being a missionary.  I know, because I have a pretty phenomenal family.  I've done the relationship thing, and I'm also one semester away from getting my associates degree - but, giving all that up is the BEST decision you can make if the Lord's told you to.

We were told that our main gym (19m), by the end of April, will be remodeled and completely filled with sister missionaries.  How amazing is that!  This age change is so beautiful.  I'm not a major feminist at all, but I love the power of this new sister missionary force.  All the tears shed before coming out here were worth it.  I don't think even Shakespeare could put into adequate words how wonderful it is to be a part of this historic time of the building of the kingdom of God.

Can I just say this work is absolutely amazing!  This week I got to host, which was so much fun.  Guess who my last girl was...yes, that's right - miss Adrianna Fratcher! (H.S. friend)  I was in line to get a new missionary when I saw her.  I ran over and got to be her host.  I held her while she cried for a bit.  It was so fun to see her and was very sweet.  She was telling everyone at the bookstore how wonderful it was to have one of her closest friends be there to help her.  I love how the gospel can bring people together in ways that nothing else can.

This week Sis. Fratcher came in.  Marissa Hixon was last week, and Silas Olsen and Elli Cardullo the week before.  It's such a fun thing to be able to be amongst friends.  Speaking of...it's amazing how close I've gotten with my district.  I'm the youngest sister in my district.  I think of the elders as brothers.  Our whole district and zone is very obedient and diligent.  No problems.  I love them all; it's amazing how much each person can bring to the table.  We, as missionaries, are called to repentance so often.  Every week we get a talk about how obedience brings blessings; but, strict obedience brings miracles.  I've noticed that since being there, I've realized how true that statement is.  Our zone has been so blessed with miracle after miracle.  We've been really striving toward strict obedience.

Oh, I forgot the biggest miracle thus far!  Sister Gillette's parents aren't members.  Since we left, her mom has been investigating the church.  She's talking about baptism and being sealed in the temple!  They're moving to CA, and the first thing she did was to find the closest church.  She's also requested (demanded) Sundays off to attend church and is going to take the discussions.  SO AMAZING!  The church is true all!

Dad, I love how you're continually doing missionary work in your travels.  I have a saying - "Once that tag is placed over your chest, it is permanently branded to your heart - whether the tag is literally or figuratively there.  Once a missionary, always a missionary."  By the way dad, the word is out in my district that I hunt with you, and now all the elders think I'm cool. It kind of makes me giggle.

You'll laugh at this...our least favorite two words, but also our favorite to make fun of are "depende" and "tutte due".  They seem to be the answer to everything and nothing.  Funny story for the day...We all know I sleep talk.  Well, now I'm sleep talking in Italian.  My poor roommates (and especially my companion.)  At about 3 am in the morning, over the last weeks, in my sleep, I try planning a lesson with my comp.  (I'm the only one who is still sleeping. As you know, it's hard to tell if I'm actually talking to someone or sleep talking.)  Now my sleep talking has taken a new turn and it's a joke amongst everyone.

I'm glad grandmother is turning a corner.  I'm so excited to see her up and moving when I get home.  :)  How are Rich and Sarah doing?  Did they figure out what's up with Sarah? 

Well my family, vi voglio bene!  Thank you for the continual prayers; I can feel them.  I fasted for you all this week and I hope everyone is genuinely doing well, instead of just telling me you are, so I don't worry.  I'm working hard every day!


Love you all!

Sorella Montagnoli










No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.