Final MTC Letter - Written March 14, 2013
My amazing family and friends!
I seriously have the most phenomenal family, ward family, and friends ever! Honestly! Thank you so much for making my birthday fun and wonderful from 15 minutes away! It was a great day :). I woke up an extra 10 minutes early to open my presents before going to glass. I usually get ready in the big, shared bathroom, because one tiny mirror in our room does not work for all of us. So, I woke up and did my thing...when I came in the decorations were up and balloons were everywhere. Thank you :) Sister Gillette and Marianne, who did it together. It was such a lovely surprise! I opened my package from Sandy first - they gave me a beautiful necklace and chocolate :). Then I opened the big one from my family. GOODNESS! Ya'll don't love me or anything, do you?!!! :) Rex (her cousin serving in the Philippines)...that was the BEST PRESENT EVER and now my most PRIZED possession! (He sent her a leather bound "Preach my Gospel", with her name and mission engraved, and an engraving of the Mount Timpanogos Temple.) Everything was absolutely perfect!
Wow - our pictures from Jami are amazing! I showed them to the sisters and they were like, "WOW! You all look so Italian!" It did make me sad to see my long hair. :( Sorry Jeanette...it does feel short. We then went to class and followed our usual schedule. I got sung to several times and by the end of the day, my whole zone wished me Auguri three times! It was a wonderful day! AND, I got to play volleyball all week. I was able to play with the elders and play some hard, more serious ball. But, it's a men's net, so I gave up guarding and started digging. It's way fun. :) Overall - a FABULOUS DAY!
Thanks to EVERYONE who sent me birthday wishes, packages, and treats! Everyone here has benefited from all your many kindnesses and thoughtfulness! Thank you - for the chips and salsa, the cinnamon rolls, the cupcakes, the brownies....I have been so loved and thank you all! My district loves you all! I don't have time now (since I'm leaving in a few days for Italy) to send out personal thank you letters, so I'm sorry this general thank you will have to do for now.
This week we had great devotionals - one of which was Richard Heaton. I will admit hearing "Brother Heaton" in the MTC really tripped me out. (Elder Kaden Heaton is Francesca's closest "friend" :), serving a mission in Africa.) Regardless, I talked to him after, and I guess he is a third cousin.)
Our other devotional was Elder Paul V. Johnson. He and his wife both spoke. She gave us a great analogy. All of the movies right now are about a force protecting the world from evil destruction (Transformers, Avengers, Star Wars, etc.) We are in a great battle. She'd said that there is no other place in the world (like the MTC) that has so many righteous young people all gathered from around the world together, who have made sacred covenants for the purpose of righteousness, under the direction of God, to further His work. We are the righteous army and we have the best battle plans! We, as missionaries, have a special power that no one else has. We access that power through obedience. Then Brother Johnson spoke about submitting our will to Christ and to our Heavenly Father.
"When you lose yourselves in the work of God, you will truly find yourselves. When you submit yourselves to the will of God...
* your life will be different,
* you will have power,
* and the Spirit will work through you."
This is the core test we each are taking - to learn to submit fully to the will of God. Christ had agency, and he chose to submit to the Father's will...fully. When we submit to His will, we also become more like Christ. In this world, submitting one's self to someone is a sign of weakness. In the gospel of Jesus Christ, it is POWER. His message really touched me and gave me a new perspective.
Another awesome spiritual experience...I was in the temple today, and before we went through, I said a prayer for my heart to be open to any revelation I needed to hear. I was in the session and thinking about Ashley and Rex (cousins) - thinking about our lives. In the prayer circle they prayed for the missionaries and specifically for them to realize how important they are. It took me a minute to realize he was talking to me. I began to cry, and I felt the sanctity of my call. I see everyone with the name badges and think, "Wow, they are important, because they are missionaries." I forget I have the same tag! It was a great reminder. I took in every second of that last moment in the temple. I love that place; it's home.
So, funny story... I taught our class about our summer fun with the Italians (Claudio & Carolina) over "Santa Mucca" and "Winnie la caca". My teachers thought it was the funniest thing ever! Hey mom, and any others who don't like camping...the majority of the prophets camped! AND...a good chuck of revelation came to them in the WILDERNESS and in TENTS! :) Just saying :). Oh, and dad, I loved getting the Sportsman Expo Tickets in my birthday package. It made me smile! (This is our traditional daddy daughter birthday date; but I was here, and dad in Italy on business.)
Another funny story...a sister in my zone came up to me last p-day and told me that her mom found my blog. I guess I write a lot more than most missionaries.
Overall, it's been a fantastic week. I love the MTC! We're getting our final training before we leave for Italy on Tuesday. I feel so peaceful and excited to go out there and follow my mommy's footsteps and be the best sister missionary I can be!
Yes, I can feel all the love and prayers headed my way. Thank you for them; I need it!
Love you all!!!
Love, Sorella Montagnoli
P.S. Funny story...Someone started singing Lion King (ha! It might have been me)..."Can you feel the love tonight?" (Elder Sorenson jumps in) No, cuz we're in the MTC!" It was hilarious!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.